Friday, October 3, 2008

Sarah Palin for VP?

The article I chose was written by New York Times opinion columnist David Brooks. In the article Brooks discusses Governor Sarah Palin’s performance at the Vice Presidential debate and what she needed to accomplish there to keep the Republicans in the Presidential race. According to Brooks, Governor Palin had to achieve two things. First, survival, she had to prove that she was “capable of completing an extemporaneous paragraph — a collection of sentences with subjects, verbs, objects and, if possible, an actual meaning,” because apparently she has struggled with this in the past. Second, she needed to bring about a shift in momentum towards the republicans. Brooks argues that she easily accomplished the first, but that it depends on who you talk to whether or not she attained the second goal. I would have to say that I do agree with Brooks in that Sarah Palin proved she has the ability to complete a sentence and she did so with flying colors. However I find it very disheartening that completing a sentence is a needed goal for one of our country’s Vice Presidential candidates. For the second goal I disagree with Brooks. I don’t think she gained any additional support for the Republican ticket what so ever, she might have even lost some. Brooks gives points to Governor Palin for making it clear that “she was not of Washington, did not admire Washington and knew little about Washington.” Maybe it would be smart for Sarah Palin to distance herself from Washington during these hard times but she still needs to have adequate knowledge about Washington and how it works. Without this knowledge Palin just looks ignorant. Although I am not a fan of Joe Biden I would have to easily give the debate victory to him. Through out the night he schooled Palin on every subject that was covered.
I am a big fan of John McCain, but I think that Sarah Palin is not be the strongest choice for VP. It appears to me that she might have only been selected as VP in order to pull in more votes for the Republicans, not because she is the best person for the job. I think that this was made clear during the VP debates. It saddens me that David Brooks is praising Governor Palin for surviving the debate. In my opinion a good Vice Presidential candidate should never be praised for surviving a debate, they should be praise for being dominate throughout the debate and putting their opponent on defense.

No comments: